1-8-ounce package of Tempeh cut into bite-size pieces ½ teaspoon pepper
2 small onions-chopped 1-2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 medium head of cabbage, chopped ¾ cups uncooked barley
2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced 3 cups vegetable broth
Salt to taste
- Place the pieces of tempeh in a shallow bowl and cover with the soy sauce; let it set until all other vegetables are cut and in the pot.
- Spray the bottom of a crockpot with the cooking spray, if using.
- Place onions in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add the barley on top of the onions.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the broth on top.
- Cover, and cook on low for 6+ hours.
- Stir before serving.
Serve with applesauce, or baked apples.
To freeze- label your freezer bag, Add all ingredients except for brown rice and broth to the bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in your freezer for up to three months. When ready to cook, thaw, spray crockpot with cooking spray, place rice in the bottom of the slow cooker, add ingredients from freezer bag, and pour broth on top. Cook on low setting for 6 hours. Stir before serving.
This recipe fills a 6-quart crockpot to the rim, but the recipe can be cut in half if necessary. Cooking time would be the same.